Friday, February 10, 2012

Zoe Strauss: Ten Years



Daddy Tattoo, 2004

 I visited the Van Gogh exhibit at the  Philadelphia art museum last weekend, and was prepared to write about it in my blog today.  But after seeing Van Gogh (which was wonderful),  I wandered downstairs to look at Zoe Strauss: Ten Years, a mid-career retrospective. It was her exhibit that resonated with me the most....in sort of unsettling ways.   Strauss is only 41, has never had any formal photography training, and conceived her first installation--the I-95 project (in which she installed her work on pillars below an I-95 overpass in south Philadelphia)--before she even owned a camera.  

Initially, I was put off by the raw edginess of her photographs.  She photographs people and places at the margins of society (often in her hometown of Philadelphia)--whether it be the facade of an abandoned building or a hand-lettered sign with it's characters askew--with the simple dignity of recognition.  

Her tendency to focus on the most disenfranchised people and places reminded me of Diane Arbus.   

I was with my friend Peggy, who owns a photography studio and is herself a tremendously talented photographer.  Peggy was completely captivated by Strauss's work.  I left the exhibit feeling like I had been punched in my solar plexus. 

The exhibit reminded me that art is not always about the aesthetic, but often its magic lies in its ability to provoke.  What I like about Strauss is that she refrains from passing judgement on her subjects, and doesn't proselytize.  She simply records snapshots of life--however unattractive or shocking--with unadorned simplicity.

What do you think?

Mattress Flip, 2001

Click the link to read about the tragic follow-up to this photograph: The boy in the white shirt, "Boo", was shot and killed
6 years after the photo was taken.
http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/news-and-opinion/Zoe-Strauss-Mattress-Flip-Laurence-Boo-Rose-Philadelphia-Museum-of-Art.html



If You Reading This Fuck You

Woman Showing Dead Bird, 2010


Monique Showing Black Eye

Strauss took this photograph, having no idea she had photographed the subject before--it was only after she recognized the tattoo that she realized this was the same girl in "Daddy Tattoo" (above)




Woman, Camden





 Powerful stuff.


And finally, props to Peggy-- here is a snippet of her excellent work: http://peggypetersonphotography.com/









1 comment:

  1. Love both. Strauss's photos remind you how segregated cities are. She may not be classically trained but she has a very discerning eye, as well as an ability to see what many would turn away from.

    Peggy's shot of a biker blowing bubble is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete